Know your rights – Working in the UK

Start Work Today | Know your rights – Working in the UK

Know your rights – Working in the UK

Are you looking to work in the UK but are unsure how or even if you are eligible?  It can be confusing to know where to begin – but do not fear! At Start Work Today, we have created this article to shed a little light on the facts!

The great thing about the hospitality industry is that it opens up a world of opportunities for workers from other countries. However, planning is everything and depending on the country that you come from, you may need a Visa or a Work Permit before you are able to work in the UK.

Am I eligible to work in the UK?

First things first, there are some countries that are eligible to work in the UK meaning that they do not need a visa or work permit to work in the UK.

This is the case if:

  • You are a British citizen
  • You are a European Economic Area (EEA) citizen – (listed below)
  • You are a Swiss national

EEA countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Nationals of Croatia may require special permission to work in the UK.

You can find further information in regards to EU, EEA and Commonwealth citizens and your rights to working the UK, please visit:

What if none of those apply?

If the above does not apply to you or you are not from one of the countries listed, before you can find employment in the UK you will need to apply for a visa and/or a work permit.


If you are not a British citizen, EEA citizen or Swiss national, you may need to apply for a visa in order to be able to work in the UK. You can apply for a visa via a British Overseas Mission in your country, or via the British Embassy. For more information specific to your own country, please visit For a full list of the visas available to you, and to check if you need a UK visa, please visit:
However please keep in mind that having a does not always meant that you are automatically able to work in the UK, and you might also need to have a work permit in order to work in the UK.

Work permit

If you have already found a job in the UK and been accepted to work, or you have a visa but it does not allow you to have employment, you may need to obtain a work permit.
You cannot apply for a work permit directly, it is your employer in the UK that will do so on your behalf and the length will depend on factors such as the type of work you do.

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a visa?

In order to apply for most work visas, you usually need to gain a job offer with sponsorship from a UK employer first of all.

However, you can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa without sponsorship if you:
– Want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
– Are 18 to 30 years old
– Have £1,890 in savings
– Meet other eligibility requirements

Please note that the information provided is for general guidance only and is subject to change. For a more detailed guide and further details please visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *